Thursday, September 25, 2014

Chocolate Mint Molten Lava Cake

Confession time (because I know it's your favorite time): I am really bad at not cooking things all the way.  My husband likes floppy/non-crispy bacon (blech) and no matter how hard I try, I cannot cook it little enough for him.  It never looks done enough before it gets too crispy for him.  He also like eggs over easy which have taken me years to be able to make without cooking the yolk (and it is still hit or miss).  Needless to say, the first time I attempted a molten lava cake, there was no lava.  No flowing goodness of liquid-y chocolate.  No happiness for my husband.  I have been hesitant to try it again, but I have been embarking on a journey to conquer my culinary fears (or at least some of them...dealing with lobster will almost definitely never happen) and my husband threw down the challenge on Instagram so I couldn't avoid it any longer.  But guys, let's be honest--I rocked it this time.  Loads of gooey, lava-y deliciousness pouring out of this cake.  Hooray for not failing a second time!

Chocolate Mint Molten Lava Cake

Number of Servings: 4
Time to Prepare: 50 minutes

  • 4 (4 oz) squares bittersweet chocolate
  • 4 (4 oz) squares semisweet chocolate
  • 10 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 Tbsp creme de menthe
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Grease 4 (8 oz) ramekins and set aside.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler, stirring regularly.  While it melts, sift powdered sugar & flour into a medium mixing bowl.

In a small mixing bowl, combine eggs and egg yolks and whip lightly with a fork.

Once the chocolate and butter and melted, pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients.  Whisk to combine (mixture will be very thick).  Pour the eggs in and continue whisking, just until smooth.  Stir in the vanilla and creme de menthe.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared ramekins.  Place them on a baking sheet and bake for about 14 minutes.  The edges should be firm and the very top should be cooked, but the center should be liquid still.  (I stick a toothpick in about 1/8" from the edge to make sure it is cooked all the way down the side.)

Let cool for 10 minutes.  Run a knife around the edge to loosen and invert onto dessert plates.  If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with a sprig of mint.  Serve warm.

Source: adapted from Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment