Sunday, October 19, 2014

Asian Slaw with Ginger Peanut Dressing

Is it just me or is the freezer never big enough to fit everything you want to put in it?  I feel like there are tons of things out there that people always recommend freezing (homemade chicken/vegetable broth, herb cubes, pesto, homemade burritos or taquitos, etc.) but it seems like my freezer is always jam packed full of food.  And I don't even have any ice cream in there right now!  The point of all this being that I have a handful of recipes requiring edamame that I've been wanting to try, but the edamame we usually buy comes in a giant freezer bag at Costco.  So I've been slowly working my way through some freezer stuff to try to make room for the edamame and I finally did it!  So this recipe might seem similar to the last recipe I posted.  It is.  But it's also different enough that it is totally worth having both of these in your recipe box.  (Do people still have actual recipe boxes?)  This is more of a side dish, as opposed to the entree salad from the last post and the sauce/dressing has a hint more spiciness and nice ginger undertone to it.  Just like the last one, the colors are really beautiful--better than the picture really shows.  I had some green cabbage I needed to use this time, so I put that in instead of coleslaw mix.  That means I am missing the pretty purple pop of the red cabbage, but it still tasted amazing.

Asian Slaw with Ginger Peanut Dressing

Number of Servings: 3-4
Time to Prepare: 20 minutes

Dressing
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp sriracha
  • 1/2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
Slaw
  • 2 cups coleslaw mix
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
  • 1/2 cup edamame
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
  • 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined.  Set aside.

Combine the slaw ingredients in a medium bowl.  Add the dressing and toss well.  Let sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to soak in.

Source: slightly adapted from Once upon a Chef
Produce Used: Ginger, garlic, cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, red bell pepper, edamame, green onion, cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment