Saturday, November 28, 2015

Mom's Hot Fudge Sauce

The best hot fudge sauce ever. But before I talk about that, let me tell you a story.  When my husband and I were first dating/engaged/just married, we worked at and managed an ice cream shop that will not be named.  It was such a blast (except the part about working every single Friday night...not such a blast) and we got to eat so much amazing ice cream.  So many good flavors, so little time.  It was definitely some of the best ice cream I will ever eat.  Sadly, their hot fudge sauce was not quite so good.  It was a little too bitter tasting--I guess they were trying to balance the sweetness of the ice cream?  But yeah, it just did not work for me.  On the other end of things, I have definitely tasted hot fudge sauces that are just way too sweet, especially when you're putting them on top of two big scoops of straight up sugar and fat.  This hot fudge sauce, on the other hand, has the perfect balance.  Sweet and rich, without being sickly sweet or over the top.  I think the evaporated milk is the real key to the creamy richness.  Just be warned, you will want to eat this with a spoon.  Sorry, not sorry.

Mom's Hot Fudge Sauce

Number of Servings: about 4 cups of sauce
Time to Prepare: 15 minutes

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Melt butter and chocolate and a medium saucepan over low heat.  Stir in evaporated milk and powdered sugar until smooth.  Increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil.  Cook for 8 minutes, until thick.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Source: my awesome mom

No comments:

Post a Comment