Sunday, June 8, 2014

Tuna Melts

You may or may not remember in a previous post I mentioned never having had tuna casserole growing up.  I also never had tuna melts.  When my husband suggested making tuna melts recently and I informed him I had never had a tuna melt, he was shocked and appalled.  I'm always up for trying something new and seeing as how we have ridiculous amounts of tuna in the pantry, I decided to go for it.  These definitely did not disappoint.  The key to making these babies really shine is to pick the right bread.  A nice, rustic artisan loaf will complement the tuna perfectly.  My husband called these "restaurant ready."  Now that's a big win in my book!

Tuna Melts

Number of Servings: 6
Time to Prepare: 20 minutes

  • 2 (5 oz) cans albacore tuna, drained
  • 1/2 small red onion, minced and soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, then drained
  • 1 stalk celery, minced
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp coarse ground mustard
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • black pepper to taste
  • olive oil
  • 12 slices bread (I used this recipe)
  • butter or margarine
  • sliced sharp white cheddar cheese
In a medium bowl, toss tuna with red onion, celery, and parsley.  Add the mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice.  Stir to combine.  Season with pepper to taste.

Drizzle a skillet with a  little olive oil and brush to coat.  Heat the skillet over medium heat.  Spread butter or margarine on one side of the bread.  On the non-buttered side of the bread, spread some of the tuna mixture, top with sliced cheese and a second slice of bread, buttered side out.  Cook on the skillet until the bread is golden brown, flip and cook the other side.

Source: slightly adapted from foodnetwork.com
Produce Used: Red onion, celery, lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment