Sunday, August 3, 2014

French Onion Pasta

This dish is a different kind of pasta than you've probably ever had before.  I know it was for me the first time I tried it, but as soon as I saw the recipe for this I wondered why this isn't being done more.  It is delicious!  Such a fun twist on the idea of french onion soup and it is pretty quick and easy.  Plus it is super versatile.  I change up what kind of pasta I use, I switch out the shallots for red onion, I throw in some chicken or some steamed asparagus....the possibilities are endless.  Make it your own!

French Onion Pasta

Number of Servings: 3 to 4
Time to Prepare: 35 minutes

  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium shallot, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 packet onion soup mix
  • 1/2 pound pasta (I usually use penne or rotini)
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • 1/4 cup half and half
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and stir continually until soft and fragrant.  Add the mushrooms and cook until softened.

Add the marsala wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any stuck on pieces of garlic/shallot.
Add the stock and soup mix packets, and boil lightly for about 20 minutes (the sauce will reduce a lot during that time).  Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions.

Whisk flour into half and half.  Pour into sauce, stirring continually until well incorporated and thickened.  Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to coat.

Pour into a 2 quart, oven safe dish. Top with the mozzarella cheese and set it under the broiler until the cheese begins to get browned.

Source: adapted from Stephanie Cooks
Produce Used: Shallot, garlic, mushroom

No comments:

Post a Comment