Thursday, August 28, 2014

Spicy Thai Noodles

Recovering from an extended "vacation" always takes longer than I think it will.  I've been back for over a week (from a month long trip to see family) and we are just barely settling back into a normal routine.  Thankfully, I have a good number of super quick and easy meals up my sleeve and they have been my go-to dinners while I try to get my life back in order.  These Thai-inspired noodles are a nice change from heavy Italian-type pasta dishes and the spiciness is easily adjustable to your preference (we like just a hint of spiciness...no burn-your-face-off spicy food for us).  The toppings make it fun and colorful, and you can just work with what you have.  They end up a little bit different every time I make them, just based on what toppings I have available in my fridge and pantry.  Added bonus: this is totally vegetarian (but still really tasty and filling).  I served this with a cabbage salad the other night and after dinner my husband said, "Dinner was really good.  You didn't even notice it was a vegetarian meal."  High praise indeed.

Spicy Thai Noodles

Number of Servings: 4
Time to Prepare: 20 minutes

  • 3 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (or more, if you want to increase the spiciness)
  • 1 tsp lime juice
  • 1 tsp rice vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp honey
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 lb linguine
  • selected toppings: thinly sliced celery, thinly sliced or shredded carrots, diced bell pepper, edamame, chopped green onion, chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, etc.
In a small saucepan, heat the sesame oil and red pepper flakes on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Pour the oil through a fine strainer into a liquid measuring cup and discard the pepper flakes.  (It's ok if a couple of the flakes somehow make it in...that always seems to happen to me and it's fine.)   Whisk the lime juice, rice vinegar, honey, and soy sauce into the oil.

Cook the linguine according to package directions. Drain the noodles and place them in a large bowl. Toss the noodles with the oil mixture.  

Serve with the desired toppings sprinkled on top.  (I've only ever eaten these warm, but they would probably be good at room temperature or cold too.)

Source: adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Produce Used: Lime, celery, carrots, bell pepper, edamame, green onion, cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment