Friday, January 2, 2015

Kidney Bean with Bacon Soup

I love kidney beans.  I honestly don't know what it is about them, exactly, but they are awesome.  I love to throw them in salads, use them as a meat substitute in tacos, toss them in a fresh salsa, or mash them up for a bean dip.  A few years ago, I was really wanting to find a soup recipe that was kidney bean-based and wasn't having much luck.  I wanted something kind of creamy, like that Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup (which I LOVED as a kid) but most of the recipes I found seemed to be more minestrone-type soups.  So eventually I just decided to make up my own.  And boy do I love this stuff!  It has a bit of the nostalgia factor for me, plus the rich bacon-y flavor and the heartiness it gets from the potatoes and carrots is so great for dinner on a cold, winter night.  And I love that it simmers for so long so I can prep dinner early and just let it cook away all afternoon.

Kidney Bean with Bacon Soup

Number of Servings: 6
Time to Prepare: 4 hours 45 minutes

  • 10 to 12 slices bacon
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 5 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 (15.5 oz) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 3 medium carrots, chopped
  • 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Cook bacon until crisp and set aside.  Reserve bacon grease.

In a large pot, saute onion in reserved bacon grease until soft.  Stir in garlic and continue sauteing until onion and garlic begin to brown.  Add chicken broth, diced tomato, kidney beans, potatoes, carrots, vinegar, parsley, chili powder, cumin, bay leaves, and cayenne.  Chop bacon and stir in (if desired, reserve 2 to 3 pieces to serve on top of soup).

Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 3 to 4 hours.  Remove bay leaves.  Using an immersion blender, blend soup partially so it has a creamier consistency but still has some chunks. (Or blend in batches in a regular blender.)

Source: Inspired by Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup
Produce Used: Onion, garlic, potato, carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment