Monday, January 19, 2015

Warm Russian Tea

I have bored you before with my love for specialty drinks, so I won't go into that again, but let's just say this drink is right up my alley.  Let's be clear, first of all, that this is not real tea.  It is more in the cider/wassail category of beverages.  It is a warm, citrus-y drink with a great underlying depth of flavor that surprisingly comes from vanilla and almond extracts.  It is really a breeze to throw together and can serve a crowd (plus you can make it in advance, keep it refrigerated, then just heat it up when you want it).  It is just the ticket for these warm, wintery days.  I've got a pitcher-full in my fridge and I just warm myself up a cup in the microwave every day with breakfast.  Absolutely lovely, let me tell you.

Warm Russian Tea

Number of Servings: about 16
Time to Prepare: 15 minutes

  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 cups orange juice
  • 1 cup lemon juice
  • 3 quarts (12 cups) water
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 Tbsp almond extract
In a large pot, heat the sugar and 3 cups water over medium high heat until the sugar is dissolved.  Stir in the remaining ingredients and heat until warm.  Turn heat down to low and keep warm on stove until ready to serve (or transfer to a slow cooker set to low to keep it warm).  

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Produce Used: Orange, lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment