Friday, May 1, 2015

Korean Beef

As per usual, I cannot vouch at all for the authenticity of this dish, but I can vouch for its deliciousness.  Honestly, I wasn't expecting a lot the first time I made this--I don't really make that many things with ground beef these days and I haven't missed it.  But let me tell you, this recipe has me stocking up my freezer with ground beef again.  The husband and the kids can't get enough of this either so it's hard to argue with that!  It also doesn't hurt that it comes together so quickly--it makes a great last minute meal but still tastes like it took time and effort.

Korean Beef

Time to Prepare: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 4

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 2-3 green onions, chopped
  • sesame seeds
  • hot cooked rice
Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the beef, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces, until the meat is cooked through, 7-10 minutes.  Spoon excess grease out of the pan.

Whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce, chicken broth, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and ginger.  Stir into the meat and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes.

Serve over rice, topped with green onion and sesame seeds.

Produce Used: Garlic, green onion
Source: adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment