Friday, May 22, 2015

Sweet Potato Foil Packets

I make a lot of different recipes.  I am always trying new foods and revamping old ones.  So when a tried and true, beloved recipe like this one isn't already shared on the blog, I'm always a little surprised.  It can be hard to keep track of what I have and haven't posted.  Sometimes I make a recipe with the intention of posting it and then forget to take pictures.  Sometimes I've just been making something for so long, I don't even realize I haven't posted it!  I made these last week, then was surprised to discover I had never posted the recipe, but I had forgotten to take pictures.  Nobody complained when I made them again this week so that I could take those photos. 

We all just adore the rich, complex flavor of these.  Definitely don't skimp on the tomatoes--I am not a huge tomato lover so the first time I made these, I went a little light on the tomatoes and I have never made that mistake again.  The bright, juicy little twang they add is the perfect complement to the beans and sweet potatoes--the tomatoes are actually my favorite part of the dish.  Also, I love the flexibility these give me in my dinner prep.  I often assemble them early in the day, then keep them in the fridge until dinner time when all I have to do is throw them in the oven.  They have become my go-to meal to bring to new moms, as well--then I bring them over anytime and they can put them in the oven when they want them.

Sweet Potato Foil Packets

Number of Servings: 6
Time to Prepare: 45 minutes

  • 1 1/2 to 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 2-3 Tbsp taco seasoning (I usually make my own, but a store-bought packet works great too)
  • 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes (about 5-6 cups)
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • kosher salt
  • 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
  • 3 to 4 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a small mixing bowl, combine black beans, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning.  Stir to coat and set aside.

Set out six pieces of foil (each about 12" long) and spray each lightly with cooking spray.  Place about 1 cup of sweet potato cubes in the center of each foil piece.  Top with a small pat of butter (about 1 tsp) and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.  Sprinkle the chopped spinach over the sweet potatoes, then top with the bean mixture, the tomatoes, and the cheese. 

Bring the long sides of the foil together over the filling and fold, rolling down, to seal.  Roll up the ends and crimp shut to make a packet.  Place the packets on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  You can serve them topped with sour cream, salsa, avocado, etc. but we usually just eat them as is!

Source: adapted from Perry's Plate
Produce Used: Sweet potato, spinach, tomato

No comments:

Post a Comment