Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Green Beans with Tomatoes and Feta

This is a super easy side dish and since I usually have most of the ingredients on hand, I love to throw it together any time I have feta cheese in the fridge.  I may or may not sneak a few chunks of feta off the top of these beans as I make them...I do love my cheese!

Green Beans with Tomatoes and Feta

Number of Servings: 4 to 6 (as a side dish)
Time to Prepare: 15 to 20 minutes



  • 1/2 pound fresh or frozen green beans
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
  • kosher salt
  • black pepper
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
If using frozen green beans, put them in colander and run them briefly under warm water to thaw.  Drain well.


In a small bowl, combine diced tomato, vinegar, garlic, and oregano.  Set aside.

Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.  Once butter is melted, add green beans and season liberally with kosher salt and black pepper.  Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Stir in tomato mixture and cook an additional 5 minutes or so, until green beans are cooked through.  Sprinkle with feta cheese.  Remove from heat and cover for 2 minutes to allow cheese to melt a bit.  Serve warm.

(You may have noticed in the picture that some of my green beans are a bright green and some have gone beyond that stage and are a darker green.  We had some fun times with the one year old and a roll of toilet paper being unrolled.  I got a bit distracted and didn't stir the beans so the bottom ones cooked faster than the top ones....just a demonstration of the importance of stirring the beans while they cook!)

Source: Me!
Produce Used: Green beans, tomato, garlic

No comments:

Post a Comment