Monday, November 10, 2014

Avocado Hummus

My husband loves hummus.  I mean loves hummus.  There can never be enough hummus in the house for him.  The lack of hummus is probably the thing he complains about the most.  He kind of hates raw carrots, but put some hummus in front of him and he'll down them like they're going out of style.  So the other day he was lamenting the fact that we have a huge bag of baby carrots (Costco, you know...sometimes it feels like our lifeblood) but no hummus and he specifically requested I make avocado hummus.  Or guacahummus, as he calls it.  Yeah, he's dorky like that.  So seeing as how I had six avocados all getting ripe on me, I figured it would be wise to oblige.  And boy did this recipe deliver.  The avocado makes it so smooth and creamy, and I really love the pale green color they give it.  I'm pretty sure my husband is already planning to buy avocados again so I'm "forced" to make more.

Avocado Hummus

Number of Servings: 6-8 (or 1, if it's my husband)
Time to Prepare: 5 minutes

  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 avocados, pits and skins removed
  • 2 Tbsp lime juice
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • crushed red pepper
Combine 3 Tbsp olive oil, water, tahini, garbanzo beans, avocados, lime juice, lemon juice, garlic, red onion, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (make sure to put at least some of the liquids in first so the blender doesn't get stuck).

Scrape into a serving bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with crushed red pepper.

Source: adapted from Cooking Classy
Produce Used: Avocado, lime, lemon, garlic, red onion

No comments:

Post a Comment