Saturday, November 22, 2014

Strawberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette

Can I just tell you how much I love the look of this dressing?  When you fill a glass bottle with it and you get to see that beautiful pink color with little poppy seed specks everywhere, it almost looks like candy.  The taste is just lovely as well--a little sweet, a little tart, and laced with strawberry goodness.  This is especially good on a green salad that has some sweet and salty items playing off each other--they really bring out the balance of flavors in the dressing.  I like to do some feta and bacon, along with fresh fruit (whatever I have on hand--grapes, apples, berries, etc.)  You could also try making the dressing with blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries--I haven't done it, but I'm thinking it would be just as amazing and beautiful.  I'm planning to try blueberry next time I make this.  You can definitely use fresh berries, but I usually have frozen on hand so that's easier for me.

Strawberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette

Number of Servings: about 1 1/2 cups of dressing
Time to Prepare: 5 minutes

  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1-2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2" thick chunk of onion
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 3/4 cup frozen strawberries, thawed (or other berries)
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 tsp poppy seeds
Combine the vinegar, sugar, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and strawberries (including any juices that accumulated while thawing) in a blender and blend until smooth.  (Alternately, you can use an immersion blender.)  With the blender running, drizzle in the oil and blend until it is well mixed.  Stir in the poppy seeds.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Source: slightly adapted from Our Best Bites
Produce Used: Garlic, onion, strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry

No comments:

Post a Comment