Saturday, July 9, 2011

7/2/2011 Basket - Dueling Pizzas

So yesterday we had one pear and 1/3 head iceberg lettuce leftover and were trying to decide on a plan for dinner. We decided on pizza. I used this recipe for the crust:


I added Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder to the crust recipe when I added the salt and oil. Make sure to add a lot of the seasonings, since the crust will rise a lot.

Pear & Blue Cheese Pizza
Uses: Pear, iceberg lettuce

This pizza is based on California Pizza Kitchen's "Pear + Gorgonzola" pizza. Once I rolled out the crust, I brushed it with garlic-infused olive oil before topping it with mozzarella cheese, sliced pears, toasted almonds, caramelized onions, and crumbled blue cheese. Once the pizza is cooked, remove it from the oven and top with shredded iceberg lettuce tossed with blue cheese ranch. Eat the whole pizza in one sitting; it doesn't reheat very well due to the lettuce.

Margarita Mushroom Pizza
Uses: Tomatoes

I marinated two tomatoes in garlic olive oil for a few hours before I started the second pizza. So first I brushed the other half of the dough with the garlic olive oil and topped with the marinated tomato slices. Then I covered it mozzarella, extra sharp cheddar, caramelized onions, and mushrooms.

I baked both pizzas on a scorching hot pizza stone at 425 degrees for 8-12 minutes until the crusts were golden and the cheese in the center melted and bubbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment