Friday, February 13, 2015

Caramelized Onion Hummus

I believe I've mentioned before how much my husband loves hummus.  He told me the other day he was wanting to find a new recipe so I've had that on the mind.  We were having beef gyros for dinner with hummus on the side so I was looking for something to inspire me in coming up with a new recipe.  I was thinking about this warm potato salad recipe I tried recently that had these great caramelized onions in it (hopefully that will be coming soon...) and I got to thinking that a caramelized onion hummus could be pretty awesome.  And turns out it was.  Creamy, tangy, sweet.  A little bit of everything.

Caramelized Onion Hummus

Number of Servings: 6
Time to Prepare: 15 minutes

  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 can garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 2 Tbsp tahini
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • dried parsley
Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and sprinkle with sugar, then toss to coat.  Cook, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes until the onions are lightly browned.  Stir in garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.

In a blender, combine the caramelized onions, garbanzo beans, tahini, 1/4 cup olive oil, lime juice, cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, salt, water, and vinegar.  Blend until smooth.  Spread in a bowl or on a platter.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley.

Source: myself
Produce Used: Red onion, garlic, lime

No comments:

Post a Comment