Friday, February 6, 2015

Indian-Style Broccoli

We love Indian food around here (or at least Indian type food...I certainly can't vouch for the authenticity of what we eat).  I have several different main dish recipes that we really enjoy, but I am always struggling to figure out good sides to go with it (other than naan, of course).  I usually like to have a vegetable side with dinner.  Growing up, it seems like we ate a lot of plain veggies with just butter, salt, and pepper.  As I've gotten older, I've become less inclined to do that...I guess it seems boring to me?  I don't know.  I think my husband is generally more inclined to like vegetables that have some sort of sauce so that is probably where it started.  Anywho, my regular repertoire doesn't include many recipes that seem to "go" with Indian food so I'm constantly on the prowl for recipes to fill that gap.  Especially ones that are fairly quick and easy.  This delicious broccoli definitely fits that bill.  It is beautifully fragrant, which bright, happy colors.  You get a little tang from the tomato, a little sweetness from the coconut, and great backbone of savory flavor from the spices. 

Indian-Style Broccoli

Number of Servings: 6
Time to Prepare: 20 minutes

  • 24 oz fresh or frozen broccoli florets
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 3 Tbsp sweetened, shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup water
Steam broccoli until cooked.  (My steamer is also my rice cooker and since I am generally using my rice cooker for rice when I make this broccoli, I usually just follow the microwave directions on the package of frozen broccoli.)

While the broccoli cooks, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat.  Add mustard seeds and stir until they start to pop.  Cover with a splatter screen and let cook until the popping slows, stirring occasionally. 

When the popping has slowed, stir in onion and saute until tender.  Stir in tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients until combined.  Turn heat to low and keep warm until broccoli is cooked.

Stir broccoli into sauce until coated.  Serve warm.

Source: adapted from Food.com
Produce Used: Broccoli, red onion, tomato, lemon, coconut

No comments:

Post a Comment