Monday, February 2, 2015

Herbed Parmesan Dinner Rolls

Oh these rolls.  They are just heavenly.  Soft, fluffy, and yeasty on the inside.  Herby, buttery, and just a little bit crusty on the outside.  If you've ever been to Magleby's restaurants in Utah, these may seem familiar to you.  I don't know that they're the exact recipe, but they are pretty darn similar and definitely satisfy my Magleby's cravings while I'm way out here in New York.  To recreate these, I actually used my mother-in-law's dinner roll recipe as the base.  For the topping, I used a recipe I got from a friend once upon a time...one of those random recipes printed out and floating around in my recipe binder with no indication of where it came from, and I don't remember who gave it to me!  But I am certainly grateful to this person....whoever they are!

Herbed Parmesan Dinner Rolls

Number of Servings: 12 rolls
Time to Prepare: 2 hours 20 minutes

  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 3/4 cup warm milk
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 1/4 cups flour (more or less)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
Combine yeast and warm milk in a small bowl and stir to dissolve yeast.  Let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.   Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer.  Add sugar, 2 Tbsp butter, egg, salt, and 1 cup flour and mix.  Slowly add remaining flour to form a soft dough.  Knead in the mixer for 5 minutes.

Place in greased bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise until doubled. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a small bowl, combine Parmesan, parsley, and garlic salt and set aside.  Divide risen dough into 12 equal balls and form each into a roll.

Dip each roll in the melted butter, turning to coat, then in the cheese mixture, again turning to coat.  Place on a greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart.  Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled. 

Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Source: roll recipe adapted from my mother-in-law's recipe, topping recipe from a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment