Friday, June 24, 2011

6/18/2011 Basket - Steamed Tuna Cabbage (aka. the Trunky Diet)

I had three months left on my mission the first time I saw my companion make this. It looked disgusting. For starters, I did not like cabbage. Plain tuna did not look appealing. And it smelled weird. (It's the cabbage.) It took her making it three times in one week before she convinced me to try a bite.

It was a revelation.

For starters, I really love steamed cabbage. Plain tuna is much more appealing than tuna sands. And it smells heavenly.  (Once you know you like cabbage.) Thus began my first and only "diet." My companion called it the Trunky Diet.  You know, because I didn't want to go home *ahem* 50 lbs *ahem* overweight. I had plain cornflakes with a sliced nectarine and skim milk for breakfast. Steamed Tuna Cabbage for lunch. And bran crackers with yogurt for dinner. Every day. For my last six weeks. I lost 20 lbs. And I never got sick of it.  Weird.

Now, eight years later, I still love Steamed Tuna Cabbage.  So does my husband. And once I convinced them to try it (I was patient, I know how it is), my kids devoured it.  So, without further adieu, I present:


Steamed Tuna Cabbage
Uses: Cabbage, carrots



1 head of cabbage, quartered with interior and stem removed
20 baby carrots, halved or quartered depending on thickness
2 cans tuna
olive oil
salt and pepper

Steam cabbage quarters and baby carrots together until soft when pierced by a fork. (If you don't have a steamer, place in a large pot with one inch of boiling water, cover, and reduce heat to low.) Place cabbage quarters and carrots on four separate plates, top each with 1/2 can of tuna chunks. Drizzle with olive oil (adds the necessary moisture to the dish), top with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how my husband will react when I make this for him, but we are sure going to try it because I have most of my cabbage leftover and didn't know what to do with it! Plus, we always have tuna, so thanks! I'm excited to try it.

    ReplyDelete